- About Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about Waldorf Education
- Urban Prairie Newsletter
- Media Statement
- Standardized Testing Statement
- Environmental Sustainability
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- SUPPORT US
- CONTACT US
begins with wonder."
begins with wonder."
Employment OpportunitiesWe are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
- First Grade Teacher
- Educational Support Coordinator
- Substitute Teachers (General)
- Administrative Intern
- Marketing Interns
First Grade Teacher
Urban Prairie Waldorf School in Chicago seeks two first grade teachers as we grow in leaps and bounds!
We are a dynamic and forward thinking Waldorf school that is supported by an involved community as well as a highly inspired, enthusiastic and energetic faculty and administration. We are proud of our positive collegial relationships and a truly enjoyable work environment. We currently serve over 100 students in grades 1 – 6 and will continue to grow to encompass eight grades. UPWS and our sister Waldorf Early Childhood center, City Garden, continue to see robust growth in all aspects of our schools. We are honored and gratified to be anticipating double tracking grades beginning this next academic year. Urban Prairie is an exciting, challenging and vigorous environment to work in, and we seek like-minded teachers who are passionate and committed to providing children with an exemplary Waldorf education. In support of our commitment and vision, we believe strongly in investing heavily in our employees and offer excellent compensation, benefits, professional development, mentoring, and support.
Our curriculum includes eurythmy, Spanish, Mandarin, handwork, music, orchestra, movement,woodwork and other practical arts. Our campus features large sunny classrooms, an assembly hall, a school garden, a blacksmith forge, and nearby parks and green space.
We are looking for two class teachers to each take our 2015-16 first grade classes. Requirements for the position include a Bachelor’s Degree, Waldorf Teacher Training certification, and enthusiasm for bringing Waldorf education to our thriving urban environment. Qualified applicants must be able to work in a collaborative manner with their counterpart teacher in an environment of mutual support. The school will also provide a solid structure of support as we enter into our first double tracked year.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Educational Support Coordinator
Urban Prairie Waldorf School, a developing Waldorf school in Chicago, seeks an Educational Support Coordinator for 2015 – 2016.
We are a dynamic and forward-thinking Waldorf school that is supported by an involved community as well as a driven faculty and administration. We currently serve over 100 students in grades 1 – 6 and will continue to grow to encompass 8 grades. UPWS continues to see robust growth in all aspects of the school and seeks to double track grades beginning the next academic year. Urban Prairies offers an exciting, challenging and vigorous environment in which to work. We believe strongly in investing heavily in our employees and offer excellent compensation, benefits, and professional development.
We are seeking an Educational Support Coordinator. The Educational Support Coordinator is supported by the administration, faculty, and an active and engaged Educational Support Committee. The Specialist will be expected to perform the following functions:
Work with Individual Students:
- Work in a support role with the class teachers to assess individual students in need of extra learning support
- Design, implement, and report on educational plans for individual children
- Regularly assess and report on individual student support plans
- Coordinate learning support schedule
- Refer students when appropriate for outside support such as Occupational Therapists
Management and Implementation of School Wide Assessments, particularly:
- Conduct 2nd grade assessments
- Conduct 1st grade readiness assessment
Work with the Faculty:
- Lead the faculty weekly child studies
- Provide insight and guidance to other teachers about how they might best work with students in need of extra support, as well as more general support in recognizing and understanding issues which may be hindering students
Work with students in a larger setting:
- Work with students in small groups with reading and math work
- Teach 1st grade Creative Movement class
Work with Community
- Play a central role in UPWS parent education and involvement
Work in Larger Community
- Bring own research and insights to larger Waldorf and education community
- Keep abreast of current research, both mainstream and Waldorf, as it relates to the educational support of our children.
- Master of Education degree
- Waldorf Teaching Certification
- Waldorf Remedial Training
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references here ».
Substitute Teachers (General)
Urban Prairie Waldorf School is expanding our full-day substitute teacher list. We invite experienced teachers, advanced M.Ed. students, and Waldorf teacher training students to apply for this wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a Waldorf classroom. We will hold an observation and training day in early March to familiarize substitute teachers with Waldorf methods. Lesson and classroom guidelines will be provided for each grade.
To join the list, please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».
Urban Prairie Waldorf School has an immediate opening for an education-administration intern. The internship is a wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the administrative aspects of Waldorf education and to be a part of a newly forming school that is paving its way. In addition to assisting in administrative matters, interns are invited to observe and assist classroom teachers. The position can be tailored to meet the candidate’s interests. Interns are present at the school 2-3 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. This position is unpaid.
Please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».
Urban Prairie Waldorf School seeks enthusiastic, self-starting candidates for our marketing internship program. There are 2 internships available, 2-3 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. This position is unpaid.
Our school is young and energetic, with an entrepreneurial culture. Founded in 2009 and currently supporting grades 1-4 with more than 50 students, Urban Prairie draws students from across the city for our arts-integrated, academically rigorous, experiential Waldorf curriculum. Our start-up location is in the Pilsen neighborhood; this summer we will relocate to a large school building in Little Italy. We are looking to get the word out about our unmatchable education and about our new location.
Intern tasks may include:
- Assisting with drawing up a marketing plan for 2015-16, including a small number of clearly set goals and a timeline
- Newsletter article proposals and / or contributions
- Website expansion
- Editorial submission to local news outlets
- Assisting with disseminating our marketing materials, including flyers and postcards
We are committed to providing an experience tailored to interns’ areas of interest. In-class observation of our teachers is encouraged. Self-starting, outgoing candidates with an interest in whole-child education send a letter of interest and resume today ».