- About Us
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Learn more about Waldorf Education
- Urban Prairie Newsletter
- Media Statement
- Standardized Testing Statement
- Environmental Sustainability
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Parent Child Programs
- Grade School
- After School
- Summer Camps 2016
- SUPPORT US
- CONTACT US
begins with wonder."
begins with wonder."
Employment OpportunitiesWe are currently seeking to fill the following positions:
- Educational Support and Extra Lesson Teacher
- Handwork Instructor
- Substitute Teachers (General)
- Administrative Intern
- Marketing Interns
Educational Support and Extra Lesson Teacher
The Extra Lesson Teacher will partner with our current Educational Support Coordinator to form the Educational Support Department. Duties listed below may be assigned based on workload and strengths of individuals in the department. The Extra Lesson Teacher works collaboratively with the faculty, administration and is part of an educational support team, which includes the Care Group. This individual is expected to perform the following functions:
Work with individual students
- Work in a support role with the class teachers to assess individual students in need of extra learning support.
- Design, implement, and report on educational plans for individual children.
- Provide extra lesson support to individual students.
- Regularly assess and report on individual student support plans.
- Assist in coordinating learning support schedule.
- Refer students when appropriate for outside support such as Occupational
Work with students in a larger setting
- Work with students in small groups with reading and math work
- Teach Creative Movement classes
School wide assessments
- Work in partnership on developing appropriate level assessments and school‐wide assessment schedule
- Conduct and write reports for the second grade assessment and the fifth grade assessment.
- Work in collaboration with the early childhood program in the Ready, Set, Go sessions for Kindergarteners in order to facilitate transitions to UPWS.
- Conduct developmental drawing assessments and work with teacher to discern insights for them.
- Conduct assessments for in‐coming students and transfer students.
Work with the Faculty
- Help teachers design and implement morning circle work or other activities to support physical development of the children.
- Provide insight and support to teachers about how they may best work with students in need of extra support.
- In conjunction with Pedagogical Director provide professional development to faculty.
- Participate in faculty meetings, including child studies.
- Help develop handwriting curriculum and students’ proper pencil grip.
- Serve on interschool admissions committee.
- Participate in faculty child studies.
- Provide insight and guidance to other teachers about how they might best work with students in need of extra support, as well as more general support in recognizing and understanding issues which may be hindering students.
- Participate in Faculty meetings.
Work with Larger Community
- Play a central role in UPWS parent education and involvement.
- Bring own research and insights to larger Waldorf and education community.
- Keep abreast of current research, both mainstream and Waldorf, as it relates to the educational support of our children.
- Participate in Festivals and other school wide events as needed
- Successful completion of three‐year program with Certificate from the Association for a Healing Education, or equivalent remedial training program
- Waldorf classroom teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university
Urban Prairie Waldorf School in Chicago seeks a Handwork Instructor
We are a dynamic and forward thinking, urban Waldorf School that is supported by an involved community as well as a highly inspired, enthusiastic and energetic faculty and administration. We are proud of our positive collegial relationships and a truly enjoyable work environment. We currently serve over 125 students in grades 1 – 7 and will grow to encompass eight grades. UPWS and our sister Waldorf Early Childhood center, City Garden, continue to see robust growth in all aspects of our schools. Urban Prairie is an exciting, challenging and vigorous environment to work in, and we seek like-minded teachers, who are passionate and committed to providing children with an exemplary Waldorf education. In support of our commitment and vision, we believe strongly in investing heavily in our employees and offer excellent compensation, benefits, and professional development, mentoring and support.
Our curriculum includes eurythmy, Spanish, Mandarin, handwork, music, orchestra, movement, woodwork and other practical arts. Our campus features large sunny classrooms, an assembly hall, a school garden, a blacksmith forge, and nearby parks and green space.
We are seeking a part time Handwork Instructor that can join our growing Practical Arts program.
Candidates must have:
- Experience teaching elementary-age children.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred as well as having a strong knowledge of Waldorf education and Waldorf training, in hand or under way.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs, e-mail and willingness to learn and work with internal software programs for parent communication. All teachers are required to write students reports during the school as well as communicate with the parent body.
- We seek applicants that have an enthusiasm for bringing Waldorf education to our thriving urban environment. Qualified applicants must be able to work in a collaborative manner with their counterpart teacher in an environment of mutual support.
- The position requires flexible hours and may include evening and weekend hours for community events.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and reference contact information to email@example.com.
Substitute Teachers (General)
Urban Prairie Waldorf School is expanding our full-day substitute teacher list. We invite experienced teachers, advanced M.Ed. students, and Waldorf teacher training students to apply for this wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a Waldorf classroom. We will hold an observation and training day in early March to familiarize substitute teachers with Waldorf methods. Lesson and classroom guidelines will be provided for each grade.
To join the list, please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».
Urban Prairie Waldorf School has an immediate opening for an education-administration intern. The internship is a wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the administrative aspects of Waldorf education and to be a part of a newly forming school that is paving its way. In addition to assisting in administrative matters, interns are invited to observe and assist classroom teachers. The position can be tailored to meet the candidate’s interests. Interns are present at the school 2-3 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. This position is unpaid.
Please send a note of introduction and a summary of your qualifications here ».
Urban Prairie Waldorf School seeks enthusiastic, self-starting candidates for our marketing internship program. There are 2 internships available, 2-3 days per week, 2-3 hours per day. This position is unpaid.
Our school is young and energetic, with an entrepreneurial culture. Founded in 2009 and currently supporting grades 1-7 with more than 125 students, Urban Prairie draws students from across the city for our arts-integrated, academically rigorous, experiential Waldorf curriculum. We are looking to get the word out about our unmatchable education and about our new location.
Intern tasks may include:
- Assisting with drawing up a marketing plan for 2015-16, including a small number of clearly set goals and a timeline
- Newsletter article proposals and / or contributions
- Website expansion
- Editorial submission to local news outlets
- Assisting with disseminating our marketing materials, including flyers and postcards
We are committed to providing an experience tailored to interns’ areas of interest. In-class observation of our teachers is encouraged. Self-starting, outgoing candidates with an interest in whole-child education send a letter of interest and resume today ».